What Does a Wood Roach Look Like?
There are several types of roaches and among those Pennsylvania wood roach is an outdoor dwelling insect native to North America and found in wooded areas and stacks of firewood but sometimes find their way into your home.
What Is a Wood Roach?
Parcoblatta pensylvanica is the scientific name of the wood cockroach. Wood cockroaches are small, only about one to one and a half inches. Tree roaches are very similar in appearance to the American cockroach. They’re a dark chocolate brown color with a tan stripe around the edge of the wings and they have a flat, oval-shaped body, long antennae, and spiny legs. Males can fly long distances because they have well-developed wings but females have small, non-functioning wings.
They are called accidental invaders of the house as they are generally found under bark in woodpiles, hollowed-out trees, and stumps. Male roach is attracted to lights and comes into the house and both males and females may also come by firewood bring from outside to inside. They do not reproduce in the house as they require moist conditions and they do not harm the house structure, furnishings or occupants. Their presence is only a temporary annoyance. Wood cockroach habitat is similar to the Australian Cockroach Facts.
How To Get Rid Of Wood Cockroaches
- Sprays and dust do not have a high success against wood cockroach and as they are the temporary annoyance, it may not need. Exclusion techniques that prevent wood roach entry should be considered.
- Outdoor insecticide barrier treatments around windows and doors and along with the foundation or firewood pile.
- Don’t bring firewood inside until you’re ready to burn it.
- Please avoid the use of unnecessary lights as they can attract male wood cockroach
- Seal cracks and small openings so they can’t slip inside.
- Remove rotting leaves from window wells.
- If it gets into the house to get rid of wood roaches that have wandered into your home, pick them up with a vacuum cleaner or something else and dustpan and discard them.
Wood Cockroach Nymphs
Last Updated on